Acute care & trauma surgery
Our areas of expertise
Our acute care surgery is a combination of trauma surgery, surgical critical care and emergency general surgery.
- Trauma surgery involves treating patients who have sustained an injury due to external force. The most common injuries we treat are falls and motor vehicle accidents.
- Critical care surgery deals with the preoperative and postoperative care of surgical patients that have acutely life-threatening conditions caused by injury or illness. Critical care surgeons are trained in all aspects of care of the critically ill surgical patient.
- Emergency general surgery involves the evaluation, resuscitation and operative care for patients experiencing an acute general surgical problem. Our emergency general surgery staff cares for patients who arrive in the emergency room with acute general surgery conditions including appendicitis, cholecystititis, hernias and intra-abdominal emergencies.
Why choose us?
Patients depend on our acute care and trauma surgery services for:
Expert surgeons—Many of our surgeons have completed advanced training through our Critical Care Surgery Fellowship Program. They are highly skilled in the latest surgical procedures for acute conditions due to:
- Trauma caused by injuries from motor vehicle accidents and falls
- Acute critical illnesses or injuries that require evaluation, resuscitation, stabilization and surgery
- Appendicitis, gallbladder inflammation, hernias, bowel obstructions and other conditions that may require emergency general surgery
Multidisciplinary teams—Our experienced team of surgeons, anesthesiologists, diagnosticians and nurses represents the region's foremost acute care and trauma surgery specialists.
Extensive resources—Our services are supported by the extensive clinical, research and physician training resources of Northwell Health.
Convenient locations—Our services are available at several of our medical centers and hospitals in Long Island, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island.
Level I trauma centers —Northwell Health offers the very best care for the medical procedures you plan—and the ones you don't. Our American College of Surgeons verified level I trauma centers are:
- North Shore University Hospital
- Nassau County Medical Center
- Staten Island University Hospital
- Cohen Children’s Medical Center